Dartford and Gravesham Green Party monthly meeting minutes
The local branch met on the 16th October at the Rum Puncheon. The full minutes are available here (login required).
- There will be a Kent Green Party meeting in Wye on the 29th October. The chair and elections coordinators (AB/ML) will be attending. All other members welcome to join them. The expected agenda includes Transport Policy and the upcoming KCC election in 2017.
- The next meeting will be the Annual General Meeting with the following agenda:
- Officer elections (members only)
- General business (all welcome)
Topics discussed included
- Transport policy
- We discussed at length the need for a unified policy both from our elected officials and as a manifesto for the local Green Party.
- MW talked about a contact from naval architecture who is suggesting a ROLO terminal near London Gateway on the north shore of the estuary, for trucks to be ferried from Dover to go “a bit nearer”.
- We repeated our outrage at concentrating everything at Dover, at the expense of Harwich, Felixstowe etc.
- Gravesend upon Thames
- we feel it is a waste of time and money and we refute the allegation that Gravesend has “stigma”
A reminder of our position, which remains unchanged:
Our policy (decided at the meeting after debate) is that we rejectboth proposals (Dartford or Gravesham to be the Southern terminus of the new bridge/tunnel), and favour instead ways to decrease the amount of traffic needing to cross the Thames in the first place. Ideas include levying freight coming into Dover to encourage other ports in the UK (Felixstowe, Tilbury) closer to eventual destination to be used, investigating air quality concerns around Dartford, and crucially investing the rail network to encourage more freight to use that medium.
Next social will be 1st December (venue TBD).
Next monthly meeting will be the AGM: 27th November at the Rum Puncheon, 2pm.
Please keep an eye on the website for more details.by